Sunday, April 28, 2013

Trumka Calls on Obama Administration to Cease Deportations of Aspiring Citizens

Luis Santoyo, AFL-CIO Now
April 22, 2013

Sebastian Velasquez saw his family for the last time when they were helping him move into his Georgetown University dorm before the start of his first semester. A few months later, he found out that his father, mother and sister were in deportation proceedings. They were eventually deported to Colombia.

“It was a very difficult period for me because I was adapting to a different environment,” recalls Velasquez, a 25-year-old DREAMer who was brought by his family from Colombia nine years ago. “I was shipping my family’s things to Colombia. And I was sending money orders to the [Krome] Detention Center [where my family was awaiting deportation].” [...]

Read the full article:
http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Political-Action-Legislation/Trumka-Calls-on-Obama-Administration-to-Cease-Deportations-of-Aspiring-Citizens

No comments: