Friday, August 17, 2007

Elvira Arellano: "I will go to Washington, D.C., on September 12"

Elvira Arellano, who took sanctuary in a Chicago church last year so that she would not be deported and separated from her son Saul, announced on August 15 that she was ending her stay in the church.


Press Release, August 15, 2007

From: La Familia Latina Unida/Sin Fronteras
Latino Families United/Sin Fronteras
psf@somosunpueblo.com

ELVIRA ARELLANO: “I WILL GO TO WASHINGTON D.C. ON SEPTEMBER 12”

“We cannot just sit by and watch our families be torn to pieces for the next three years. I cannot.

“The Congress must act in September to stop the separation of families, the torture of 4 million U.S. citizen children, the raids and deportations, the no match sanctions. They must act to stop the hatred.”

Surrounded by national movement and religious leaders, the families and children of Familia Latina Unida and her church, Elvira Arellano marked the one year anniversary of her time in sanctuary with her announcement that she would travel to Washington D.C. on September 12th.

“Out of fear and hatred of an enemy you cannot find you have set out to destroy our lives and our families. As you knocked on my door, you are knocking on thousands of doors, ripping mothers and fathers away from their terrified children."

Familia Latina Unida released proposals for action they are asking Congress to take in September. “While the road to citizenship is desirable, it is not our priority. Our priority is to keep our families and our communities together. We believe that these proposals provide an interim solution to the current crisis. We cannot wait three years until after the election."

The proposals include a safe harbor visa for parents of U.S. citizen children, a temporary work visa for those now employed here without papers, a reopening of 245i, the child citizen protection act, the dream act and Ag Jobs. "We recommend that consideration of the controversial guest worker program be put off and that labor needs be met through expanding existing temporary worker programs. While these proposals are under consideration, we call for an immediate moratorium on raids, deportations and separations of families.”

”When I entered sanctuary, I promised God that I would stay here and raise my son in his country no matter what the consequences. God has protected me for this long year, but I cannot sit by now and watch the lives of mothers and fathers like me and children like Saul be destroyed. I believe in my heart that the people of this nation do not, in their hearts, want to destroy our lives, our families and our communities. I believe, however, that we must come forward in the witness of faith to bring a resolution to this crisis.

“Therefore I have made my decision. On September 12th, I will go to Washington D.C.. I will go to pray and fast in front of the Congress. I will go with my Bible and my son and I will read to him from the Holy Scriptures as I do everyday.

“If this government would arrest me and separate me from my son, let them do it in front of the men and women who have the responsibility to fix this broken law and uphold the principles of human dignity.”

Ms. Arellano called for people around the country to join her in Washington on September 12th and called on people of conscience everywhere to observe the 12th by refraining from work, school and shopping. “Instead, on that day, let us be joined together in prayer everywhere.”



Flier:

Join Elvira Arellano and Saul in Washingon, D.C.


WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12TH

2 P.M. TO 8 P.M.
for a prayer vigil on the Mall, in front of Congress

Wherever you are on September 12th:
NO WORK NO SCHOOL NO SHOPPING
JOIN TOGETHER IN PRAYER !

For more information, visit: http://www.familialatinaunida.com/

1 comment:

unknown said...

Please contact me at my e-mail ilvavane@hotmail.com i have heard of a idea from a post in a blog contact me